Paging/pinging plorkwort! (was: Terms that haven't made it across the pond)
Adam Funk
2021-10-21 19:18:23 UTC
Seeing is definitely believing. Like I can't believe that the
phrase "higgelty piggelty" has appeared in AUE only once since
when? 1987, when it started? Or even before then?
It was a children's rhyme.
Higgledy piggledy, my fat hen, Went to bed with his trousers on.
Or something like that.
"Higgledy-piggledy" is the first line of a formally correct double
dactyl. Some of those have been posted here.
WP says they were invented in 1951. As you say, the nonsense-word is
much older.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_dactyl
Plorkwort! Thou shouldst be posting at this hour:
USERNET hath need of thee.
--
I only regret that I have but one shirt to give for my country.
---Abbie Hoffman
Leo Sgouros
2021-10-29 07:27:06 UTC
Post by Adam Funk
Seeing is definitely believing. Like I can't believe that the
phrase "higgelty piggelty" has appeared in AUE only once since
when? 1987, when it started? Or even before then?
It was a children's rhyme.
Higgledy piggledy, my fat hen, Went to bed with his trousers on.
Or something like that.
"Higgledy-piggledy" is the first line of a formally correct double
dactyl. Some of those have been posted here.
WP says they were invented in 1951. As you say, the nonsense-word is
much older.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_dactyl
USERNET hath need of thee.
--
I only regret that I have but one shirt to give for my country.
---Abbie Hoffman
I wonder what Plorkwurst would be made of?